Text: Matthew 28:18-20; Mark 16:15-16
Introduction: reaching the lost with the Gospel of Christ is of the utmost importance. Jesus said in John 14:6; “I am the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father expect through Me.”. It is imperative that Christians be an evangelistic people! The souls of the lost are in the balances, they are lost without Jesus.
We have been “called out of the dominion of darkness and have been conveyed into the kingdom of the Son of His love.” (Col. 1:12-14)
Since we have found the marvelous light of the Gospel, we have the command, yea, privilege to help others lost in sin to find their way out of spiritual darkness.
According to Ephesians 2:8-10 we were “created unto good works.”. We can’t work our way to Heaven but once we have obeyed the Gospel, Christians need to be the best workers the Lord has. “We have been saved through faith, in baptism unto good works.”
What are some of the reasons Soul-winning is important?
• Soul Winning is commanded by the Lord Jesus. The Great Commission (Mark 16:15-16. Refer to the passages dealing with the Great Commission and the events in Acts (Acts 1:7) start where you are “your sphere of influence” and then go from there– talk about how the church was established on Pentecost (Acts 2).
• Soul Winning is in the Plan of God. (2nd Peter 2:9). It is the desire and hope of God that ALL mankind be saved and He has provided away for that to happen by sending His Son the Lord Jesus to die on the Cross for the sins of mankind. But we all know that everyone will not accept that free gift of salvation.
• Soul Winning is important because “the love of Christ compels us.” (2nd. Cor. 5:14). The Bible teaches us that Jesus is our Example. John 3:16 tells how much the Heavenly Father loved/loves us. Jesus showed His love in that He died for us. We must love the lost and help them find salvation. We love because He first loved us, and that love that He shows must be found in His children, the Church. We put it into practice by being involved in evangelism.
• Soul Winning is important because people are lost outside of Jesus. (John 14:6; Mark 16:16. It is only by coming to the Father though Jesus can one have eternal life. If one does not obey the Gospel they are condemned to Hell. Hell was created for the Devil and his angels, but one who rejects Jesus will spend eternity there. We must do all we can to be involved in reaching the lost with the saving grace of Jesus. “The grace of God has appeared bringing salvation to all men…” (Titus 2:11)
• Soul Winning is important because Jesus is coming again. In John 14 Jesus promised that He would come again. The angels. Of God at the ascension reaffirmed this promise (Acts 1:11) “this same Jesus…”. In 1 Thess. 4:13-18 Christians are promised that Jesus, Himself will keep His promise to return for His Church. Because those outside of the church are lost and Jesus is coming again this should motivate us to greater service for our Lord! We should desire that as many as possible join us in being ready “to meet the Lord in the air.”
• Conclusion: Christians must be living in expectation of the return of the Blessed Hope (Titus 2:11-14). This passage, as well as others tell us how to live for the Lord. There is a “Crown of Righteousness” (2 Tim. 4:8) promised for those who are looking for the Lord’s coming and living for Him while we are waiting. We must be found, waiting, watching and working for our Master, “taking the Name of Jesus with us.”