Christian Articles to Edify Folks
The following appeared in the “The Christian Word and Work,” Vol. 5, No. 16, March 5, 1912
Program For A Joyful Life
- I will try to do God’s will every day.
- I will try to see the good in the world and in my neighbor.
- I will not worry over matters I cannot help, and over those I can help I do not need to worry.
- I will keep my mind and heart in touch with the things of the universe.
- I will learn to enjoy the free gifts of God to men, like nature and the facts of physical powers.
- I will learn to prize all my human friendships.
- I will help someone to a happier life every day.
- I will magnify my place in the kingdom of God.
- I will enjoy the friendship of Christ as my redeemer and Brother. “Hope thou in God.” “Rejoice in the Lord always.”
- This appeared in the bulletin of the Parkland Church of Christ, August 1, 1943– This congregation moved to Ralph Avenue in 1954 and closed a year or so ago.
- Never neglect daily private prayer, and when you pray, remember that God is present, and that He hears your prayers. Heb. 11:6.
- Never neglect daily private Bible Reading. (Most, if not all backsliding begins with the neglect of these first two suggestions.)
- Never let a day pass without trying to do something for Jesus. Every night reflect on what Jesus has done for you.
- Never fail to seek God’s guidance as to whether it is right or wrong. If you cannot ask God about it, you may be sure it is wrong.
- Never take Christianity from Christians, or argue that because such people do so and so, therefore you may. Ask yourself, “How would Christ act in my place?”
- Never be satisfied to live the Christian life apart from other Christians. You need their fellowship and they need your help. (Selected)